Saturday, June 30, 2012

Birth Story, Part Two

So, this is the part where I was induced into labor. We had attended a childbirth class so I thought I knew what that would mean, but since I was pretty determined not to be induced and to let the baby come when ready, I'm not sure I processed it completely.

Regardless, here we were. Because of the PIH I had to be on a magnesium solution to relax all of my smooth muscle tissue. (And, by the way, the uterus is a smooth muscle.) And, that meant no getting up to use the bathroom so a catheter was needed. Up until the said the C-word I was seriously considering trying to not have an epidural. But, once they told me I would need one I was not happy. The nurse actually put it on, but promptly removed it when I literally could not take the discomfort from it. I then asked for it only after the epidural.

I guess things took the natural course they take when being induced. I really don't know otherwise.  They broke my water and kept coming in to check on me. I was having contractions and while I could feel them they weren't awful. 

Sometime that evening, the anesthesiologist came in to administer the epidural and it wasn't bad until I sat up from bending over. My blood pressure dropped way too fast and I got sick. Also, the epidural had to be reinserted since it was off my just a tad. (But, after having read stories of epidurals that only took halfway I was fine with him wanting to get it right.)

So, the night goes on and I was told to try and rest as things progressed, but that didn't really happen. My husband got a little sleep I think, but with nurses coming and going all night it's not quality sleep.

I want to say it was bout 5am when it was determined I was dilated to 9cm and had kind of stalled there. So, one of the nurses (who was a great cheerleader, by the way) thought it would be a good idea to try pushing. So, we got ready to push and it was exhausting.

Keep in mind the magnesium makes you tired and you kind of feel flu-ish since your smooth muscles are being relaxed. And, I'd been on bed rest for a week now and felt like I had lost tons of stamina and had zero energy. Add to that my getting sick every time I worked hard at the pushing (it seems) and I was not headed to a good mental place.

We would go through rounds of pushing with my husband and the nurse as my coaches and while the doctor came in and was a good coach as well, I had never met him so that was kind of awkward. Although, really, once you poop in front of someone you kind of forget about things like "I should have gotten that pedicure", you know?

After what felt like forever, but was probably more like an hour and a half, I hit a wall. I'm no athlete, but I can definitely relate to when runners say they hot a wall. I was tired, emotional, hungry and nauseous all at the same time. The doctor got a couple more rounds of pushing out of me that I honestly thought I couldn't do and that's when the c-section was brought up. He felt like her head was not positioned correctly and that she wasn't moving with my pushes.

So, after discussing with my husband, and frankly just wanting to stop and rest, I was prepped for surgery. There was a different anesthesiologist that morning and he was very nice. Thank goodness since I had begun shivering uncontrollably. I thought I was cold, but it runs out is was an effect of the drugs I'd been given.

But, alas, she was soon born and I heard a little cry. I had asked for my husband to tell me what she was (boy or girl) and when I asked him it was funny because he said, I can't tell. Um, what?!? Turns out the doctor had his hand over her. Then he told me, "It's a girl!"

She was promptly weighed and measured and I got to see her very briefly (which I sadly do not recall at all. I actually told someone I didn't get to see her because I don't remember it) before she was taken down to the NICU. We had a couple of photos in the OR and all of my nurse friends looked at it very differently than we did because they could see she was having trouble breathing.

Following the c-section I was taken to another room to sleep and I don't think I woke up until that afternoon. 

To be continued...

2 comments:

Jenny @ Practically Perfect... said...

Oh my word! I knew that you'd had a rough time, but that sounds really tough :-/

WSpence said...

awww, I bet she was worth it in the end :) ... I think one of the hardest parts of having a c-section (or having a baby in the NICU) is that you don't get that bonding time in the beginning.