Wednesday, June 20, 2012

And then you know...

When I starting telling my girlfriends that I was pregnant one of the most common things I kept hearing was how I was about the be so overwhelmed with love. That I would soon not be able to imagine my life without this little one.*

I kept hearing about how I would have this instant gush of love for this baby. How, I was about to meet the love of my life.

And, you know what? It didn't really happen like that. I mean, I did, but not in the overwhelming way. I loved her sure, but it wasn't really until she was a couple of months old and had begun smiling and interacting with us that I was smitten.(I'm sure it has everything to do with the circumstances and events of her actual birth, to be shared in another story.)

And, you know, recently, I was totally gobsmacked by how amazing she is as a person. Not as a baby, but a tiny person.

Watching her explore the world and be content just playing in her excersaucer, figuring it all out on her own. It's pretty remarkable to this mom.

 I can almost see the little wheels in your head turning as you learn new things.

So, while it might not have been (overwhelming, all-consuming) love at first sight, I'm definitely smitten now and can't imagine ever not being 110% in love with her and all her amazingness.

*Yes, I can recall our life without her. It was surprisingly easy and carefree. Would I want to go back? No. But, I can fondly remember the luxury of going out whenever and wherever we wanted.

2 comments:

Jessie Jones said...

Love this - thank you for sharing baby J with all of us in blog land! XOXO!

Jackie said...

One of my coworkers has been talking to me about this... She didn't feel an overwhelming love for her babies right away, and she thought something was wrong with her. It is nice to hear honest thoughts about this.